6 Reasons Breastfeeding is Good for You
We hear of the many nutritional and nurturing benefits breastfeeding provides your baby. But what aren’t always talked about are the health benefits breastfeeding provides you.
Mothers who breastfeed:
• benefit from having baby close. Skin-to- skin contact boosts your oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is a hormone that helps milk flow and can calm you.
• are able to drop pregnancy weight faster due to the number of calories burned during breastfeeding.
• are able to forgo the expense of formula and bottles, which means a savings of more than $1,500 during baby’s first year.
• are protected against pregnancy (98 to 99 percent effective) during the first six months of baby’s life.
• are less at risk for Type 2 diabetes, as well as breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer.
• are less at risk for developing osteoporosis. Though you lose calcium while nursing, once you wean your baby, calcium levels usually return to pre-pregnancy or even higher levels.